Collaborations & Partnerships
Our Community Partners
Our Family Y is not just a “home-away-from-home” full of opportunities for hundreds of local families, it’s also a welcoming place for many individuals whose specific needs are cared for by the many local agencies and organizations the Y partners with in service to our community.
In 2010, our Family Y provided $305,000 in direct aid to nearly 300 families in our community, providing free membership, child care, camp scholarships and subsidies to specific programs and activities.
Our Family Y in 2010 provided an additional $217,000 in indirect support – programs and services for the community and other non-profits. A partial listing of these partners and affiliations include:
• Our Family Y makes free memberships and camp scholarships available for Westport's Department of Human Services
and Weston's Social Services
to utilize as they work with the 1,200 local families identified as in need;
• We provide opportunities for adults with special needs to work or volunteer at our Family Y and make possible weekly swim, gym and other activities for individuals with special needs served by the Our Vision
• In collaboration with Norwalk Hospital’s Whittingham Cancer Center
and Smilow Family Breast Health Center
, our Cancer Survivors Program provides individuals in various stages of cancer treatment with 3-month free memberships and customized programming to support recovery;
• Through the Jump Start
program administered by Westport’s Department of Human Services, adults take part in parenting workshops, while their children are cared for by Family Y Child Care teachers;
• We provide memberships for at-risk youth served by A Better Chance
and Project Return
• Kids from Bridgeport swim at the Y courtesy of the Horizons
program, run through Greens Farms Academy;
• The formerly homeless men now living in the Gillespie Center
are able to use the Family Y for free through our partnership with Homes With Hope
• We offer special events and programming for military veterans
and offer free membership for families of active-duty servicemen and women;
• Our Family Y is a longtime sponsor of SpinOdyssey
, which raises money for breast cancer research; at the 2011 event, the Family Y team was the leading fundraising group, contributing $72,000 of the $500,000 raised;
• The Family Y is a member organization of Weston Community Service Coalition
, which engages in community service to promote such service to and by the people of Weston.
• We enjoy a close and effective relationship with the American Red Cross
, collaborating on programs such as lifeguard certification classes, sponsoring blood drives and lending support during local emergencies, such as the Nor’easter that impact our community in March, 2010;
• In April, 2011, our Family Y teamed with Al’s Angels
, which raises funds to combat childhood cancer, by co-sponsoring and hosting the first 24 Hours of Laps Swim Marathon.